Chapter 8 & 9.2
1. A recent survey of 210 people revealed the
following results. They were asked where
they receive their news information. The
people responded with:
107 used social media
105 used cable news
110 used friends
73 used cable news and friends
61 used social media and friends
57 used social media and cable news
35 used all three sources
a) Fill in the numbers for all regions in the Venn diagram above.
b) How many people used only one of the sources?
c) How many people used cable news and social media but not friends?
Answers for probability questions can be written as a fraction (reduced or
unreduced), a decimal, or a percentage unless otherwise instructed.
2. A vat contains 35 white marbles, 80 black marbles, 25 purple marbles, and 40 red
marbles. What is the probability that you will reach in and draw out a black or a purple
3. From the deck of 52 cards, what is the probability that if one card is drawn it is red or a
4. The numbers 1 to 100 are “put in a hat” and drawn out. Find the probability that:
a. The number 42 is drawn.
b. The number contains an 8.
c. A two-digit number is drawn.
5. As the winner of the raffle, you get to choose one bill randomly from each of the two
wallets. Wallet #1 has 4 $100 bills and 26 $20 bills, Wallet #2 has 2 $100 bills and 23 $20
bills. What is the probability that you get $200 total?
6. The following table represents results when asked education level and confidence in
Totals 1340 1130 890 3360
What is the probability that if someone was chosen at random, write your answer as a
a) they were not a college graduate
b) they were a college graduate and had complete confidence
c) they had some college or had some confidence
d) they no confidence given they were a HS graduate
e) they had complete confidence given they were a HS graduate
7. Diane’s Diner is running a special this month at the restaurant. You can order an
appetizer, an entrée and a beverage or a dessert for $11.95. If there are 6 appetizers, 12
entrées, 5 desserts, and 4 beverages to choose from, how many different meals could be
8. The Roger Hitchcock Fan Club has 224 members. We are selecting a four-person delegation
to attend the Awesome Math Teacher Fan Club Convention. How many different delegations
could be chosen?
9. If there are 12 men and 8 women on the board of directors and a committee of 3 men
and 3 women is to be made to screen candidates for the CFO position, how many different
committees can be formed?
10. There was 48 athletes competing in the men’s Biathlon event at the 2022 Winter
Olympics, how many ways could the gold, silver, and bronze medals be given out?
11. How many license plates exist that follows the schematic (### LLL) of the following plate?
Washington had a strange law that did not allow repeated letters or numbers. NO REPEATS