Review all assigned reading and resources in preparation for the discussion.
- (opens in a new window)
- (opens in a new window
Islam literally means surrender or submission to God. As such, Islam teaches that inner peace comes from obedience and surrender to Allahwho is the all-powerful, transcendent God who created the universe and controls all things. Islam, therefore, is based on a system of beliefs and practices (Five Pillars) intended to demonstrate ones submission to God.
- What similar beliefs can you see between Islam, Judaism, and Christianity? How is Islam different from Judaism and Christianity in its beliefs?
- The Five Pillars of Islam incorporate theology, practice, ritual, and reflection. These elements can also be found in Judaism and Christianity. If you were in a community that stopped to pray five times a day, what lifestyle changes would you need to make so that you are part of the community?
- What are your initial impressions and feelings about the the architectural design of a Mosque?
- What religious message does the architecture of the Mosque convey about Islamic beliefs? Be specific.
- Initial posts: 200 minimum words
- 1-2 APA formatted sources Required
Post at least two substantive responses to your colleagues. Responses could include suggestions for further resources, questions of clarification, or providing context and insight. Avoid simple posts of agreement; if you agree, explain why, and then thoughtfully further the conversation.