Scan social media websites to find three posts that reflect negative stereotypes and/or prejudiced attitudes, or posts that take a social justice perspective on the topic (e.g., the site suggests ways to combat these attitudes and beliefs).
1. What key words did you use and why did you choose them? How easy or difficult was it to find posts using those key words? What are your thoughts about why it was easy or difficult to find the information? *Words Used: social media, discrimination, social, stereotyping, stereotypes and racism
2. Was it easy or difficult to determine the beliefs or attitudes of the individual posting? What cues did you use to determine those attitudes and beliefs?
3. Do you think the posters would say the same thing in the same way if they were having a face-to-face discussion on this topic? Does it matter? Why or why not?
4. Some individuals use their name and/or photo and others used a “handle” or a pseudonym with no photo or a photo of something other than themselves. How does this affect the tone or content of the post?
5. What message does the individual’s posting want the reader to come away believing about different social groups? What cues led you to determine the message?
6. What has been your overall experience with this assignment? How has it affected your attitudes of social media?