Questions to Address in Capstone Research Project:
1. Define the function that is the focus your paper and describe specific HRM responsibilities and practices associated with managing this function. Describe how competencies within the SHRM Competency model are relevant to managing the HRM function that is the focus of your research. Discuss important external forces (political, economic, social, technology) and common strategic goals that are critical to managing this HRM function in the 21st century. How is the primary function connected to other functions of HRM (describe connections with at least 3 other HRM functions), in terms of both theories and best practices?
2. For your primary HRM function, describe technological considerations in terms of eHRM and/or HRIS systems. Identify at least 2 vendors that have technology products relevant to your focal HRM functions and provide details on the advantages and disadvantages of each product in a manner that is organized and conducive to decision-making (tables and graphs are welcome and may be useful in both the paper and the presentation). Discuss important considerations for choosing between the products you’ve described and managing the change process of introducing new HRM technology.
3. What metrics would be important to track with respect the primary HRM function you have chosen? Explore technological considerations for collecting data for these metrics within an HRIS system (i.e., What elements of data would be needed? How would the data be accessed? How would calculations of the metrics be made?). Describe how these metrics would be strategically relevant to an organization and its HR department. What management tactics would you recommend for communicating and using the results on these metrics?
4. Describe a research question that you would be interested in investigating that involves one or more of the metrics you’ve identified. Discuss published research on HRM that supports this research question. Frame the research as a hypothesis and describe how you would test the hypothesis in terms of analyzing it. Describe the practical implications for your research question.
5. For the focal HRM function you’ve chosen, describe at least 2 future trends associated with technology (e.g., AI, IoT, mobile technology, virtual reality, remote work). Evaluate each trend with respect to its consequences for organizations and their stakeholder groups.