Mock Interview – possible questions
COMPANY / MOTIVATION QUESTIONS
- What can you tell us about our business / company?
- What makes you the best candidate for this position?
- Why should we hire you, instead of someone else?
- Based on your understanding of this role, which of your skills do you believe will be most valuable to our organisation?
- What’s your understanding of the role and why are you interested?
- Why are you interested in working at this organisation?
- Tell us about a team you’ve worked in that enabled you to do your best work? What was it about the team that made you do your best work?
BEHAVIOURAL QUESTIONS TEAMWORK
- Tell us about your experience working in a team where there was diversity of ages, ethnic background, language, viewpoints, attitudes or ability. What strategies did you use to deal with the differences in the group?
- Tell us about a time when you worked in a team that did well and describe how you contributed to its success.
- What role have you taken in teams that demonstrate your preference? Explain why you like this role in teamwork.
- What have you done in a team to work towards achieving outcomes?
- Describe a situation where you have used your communication skills to get a message across.
- Describe a situation when you had to deal with a difficult person.
- Outline a situation where you had to use your persuasive skills. What was the outcome? What was the key learning from that example?
- Describe how you have used your preferred ways of communicating to explain a concept or idea.
- How have you organised your study, work and other commitments in your life to meet deadlines?
- Tell us about the ways you spend your leisure time and how you believe any skills you have acquired from these activities can benefit you in your profession or career.
- Provide us with an example of a time when you have had to meet competing deadlines. How did you manage the situation?
- Describe a time when you have had to learn something new in order to complete a task. How did you manage to get the task done on time?
INITIATIVE AND LEADERSHIP
- When have you used initiative to solve a problem without being asked?
- Describe an occasion when you have successfully organised a project. What did you do to make it a success?
- Describe a time when you have worked without supervision.
- When have you had responsibility for achieving an objective? What did you do?
- Tell us about a time you have had to decide between two options.
- Tell us about how you have dealt with aspects of jobs or tasks that you do not enjoy.
- Describe a time when you have had to solve a problem. How effective was the solution?
- Tell us about an approach you used to deal with a new challenge?
- Tell us about what experience you have had with a broad range of people. What have you learnt from these experiences?
- Describe a situation when you have had to evaluate whether things were working and if they were not, how did you tell those involved?
- Tell us about a mentor or someone who has influenced you and describe how?
- Describe a relationship or network which you have developed because it will be beneficial to your professional career in the long term.