1. Diagram the formal structure of your organization. Identify the various management positions or titles on the chart and indicate the positions/jobs that would report to each. Identify the various management positions or titles on the chart and indicate the positions/jobs that would report to each.
SmartDraw.com provides free examples, though others are also available via Google. PowerPoint also has templates for organizational charts you can use.
2. Describe how work is divided (specialization and departmentalization), coordinated (chain of command and span of control), and controlled (centralization and formalization). Is the structure more mechanistic or organic?
3. Describe the informal structure of the organization. How does work actually get done?
4. How does the organization deal with the differentiation-integration issue?
5. Having completed this analysis, identify three strengths and three weaknesses of the organizational design.
6. If you could suggest one major improvement to the organizational design, what would it be