• Answer each question by typing your answer in beneath it.
• Each answer should be a paragraph of approximately 7-10 sentences.
• Any quoted material must be indicated by using “….” (quotation marks).
• Please do not use any other sources (and do not copy from any uncited sources).
• Answers plagiarized in any way will receive a ‘0’
1. In “The Value of Philosophy,” what typical criticisms of philosophy does Russell describe? Against these criticisms, what does Russell argue is the value of philosophy? Is his argument convincing? Why or why not?
2. Who were the ‘Pre-Socratic’ and why were they important in the development of Western philosophy? Explain with examples.
3. Describe the accusations against Socrates in the dialogue the Apology. How does Socrates respond to these accusations in his defense?
4. Why does Plato use the dialogue form in his writings? Do you think this is an effective way to present philosophical ideas? Why or why not?