MIS602 Data Modelling and Database Design Assessment Database Case Study Report Individual/Group Group Length N/A Learning Outcomes The Subject Learning Outcomes demonstrated by successful completion of the task below include:
a) Examine the role of data in an organisation, and develop solutions related to the creation, storage and management of organisational data.
b) Design solutions applying relational database techniques to complex problems and communicate these solutions to all stakeholders.
c) Apply contemporary database modelling to identify and address anomalies in data and recommend solutions.
Submission Due by 11:55pm AEST/AEDT Sunday end of Module 6.1 Weighting 35% Total Marks 100 Marks Task Summary This final assessment requires you to produce a robust and a flexible database that is able to accurately store information about the business mentioned in the case study. You also need to develop the queries and reports to provide data insights which in turn drive business decisions.
Your submission should include: a) Appropriate modelling plus any business rules or assumptions b) SQL commands to
• physically implement your logical model
• populate the database
• retrieve meaningful information c) Visualizations that can be presented at a board meeting Context This assignment brings together all the learning gained over the duration of this subject. The skills and knowledge you’ve gained in this subject forms a vital part of your ability to traverse the major disciplines in the data and database fields. You will be able to interact with analysts, developers, database administrators and managers using a common language which is vital if an organization is to function effectively. These skills are the groundwork for further career progression in data analysis and information management. Assignment 3 Brief Page 2 of 3 Task
Instructions 1. Group Formation and Registration
• Form groups of 3 members.
• The deadline for team registration is 11:45pm AEST Friday end of Module 2.2
• To register your team, you are required to send your Learning Facilitator an email with “[MIS602] Group Registration” in the subject line. In the body of that email, please list the names and student ID numbers of all the members of your team. • You are required to send the registration email to your facilitator before the registration deadline. • After the registration deadline, those students who are not in a team will be allocated to a group by the Learning Facilitator. 2. Case Study Please read the attached MIS602_Assessment 3_Case Study. 3. Database Case Study Report Based on the information provided in the case study, create a functioning database using MySQL that can be queried to meet the requirements of the business. 4. The database case study report should include the following elements: a) ER diagram, relational model and associated business rules and assumptions b) SQL commands to: • Create tables and Insert sample data rows into each table • SQL queries to provide business insights At least one of each of the following is required: • SELECT query with a condition • GROUP BY query • JOIN query o NESTED query For each query explain its business value i.e. what business question does the result answer? E.g. how many staff have more than one laptop? How will the business use the output of this query? E.g. The Company can save money by ensuring staff have only one laptop each c) At least two visualizations with an explanation of its business value. For each visualization explain its business value. E.g. does the visualization highlight savings in time or money or both or potential anticipate future expense which can then be budgeted for? Referencing It is essential that you use appropriate APA style for citing and referencing research. Please see more information on referencing here http://library.laureate.net.au/research_skills/referencing Submission Instructions Submit Assessment 3 via the Assessment link in the main navigation menu in MIS602 Data Modelling and Database Design. The Learning Facilitator will provide feedback via the Grade Centre in the LMS portal. Feedback can be viewed in My Grades. Academic Integrity Declaration We declare that except where we have referenced, the work we are submitting for this assessment task is our own work. We have read and are aware of Torrens University Australia Academic Integrity Policy and Procedure viewable online at http://www.torrens.edu.au/policies-and-forms We are aware that we need to keep a copy of all submitted material and their drafts, and we will do so accordingly