1. Develop an understanding of a range of research approaches, designs and forms of evidence that can underpin nursing knowledge and decision making.
2. Demonstrate understanding of the stages of the research process.
3. Develop and apply skills of critical appraisal to assess quality of evidence. Using the critical appraisal tool recommended to you, assess the quality of the two primary research papers given to you.
• Firstly, read both papers twice to gain a knowledge and understanding of the content.
• Taking one paper at a time, use the critical appraisal tool answer the questions about the paper. You will need to keep referring to the articles whilst you do this. Repeat this process with the next paper.
• Compile a data extraction sheet as featured below to summarise the main points of the papers and their strengths and limitations.