For this assignment you will research the mental health of either Frida Kahlo or Vincent Van Gogh. Both of these artists created many self-portraits. Your job is to determine whether we can see signs of mental illness within her or his self-portrait. You must then select two articles to analyze their work:
• One of these articles should be about one or more of her or his self-portraits.
• The other article should be about assessing mental illness through observation OR an article discussing the mental illness of either Kahlo or Van Gogh.
• Write a 500-700 word essay in which you analyze the research on her or his mental illness.
• Analyze one or more self-portraits by either Kahlo or Van Gogh. Do you believe the portrait reflects how the artist was feeling at the time? Why or why not?
• Argue whether you believe it possible to diagnose someone who is no longer living based on an image of them? How?
• What are the challenges scholars face when considering the mental illness of artists? Please see attached files for full requirement, self-portaits, and rubric. Thank you!